NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > The Crossover Jeeps > Patriot MK47 (2007 - 2016)
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Patriot MK47 (2007 - 2016) Technical forum for the mid-sized Jeep Patriot.

Old November 16th, 2017, 15:48
NAXJA Forum User
Wifes Patriot has rough idle but does not throw codes.

Her car has been pretty well maintained (by me) since we purchased it new. Its a 2009 with the 2.4 liter and CVT transmission.

Since we moved to Leadville CO last fall it has developed a loopy idle and sometimes stalls or lurches if you don't let it warm up for a few minutes before putting it in gear. Not sure if the elevation here has anything to do with it. Leadville is at 10,200 ft. The rough idle smooths out if it is put in neutral so maybe the engine mounts are bad, but that should not cause it to stall.

I cant find anything wrong with it. Took it to a repair shop and they could not identify the problem. It never throws any codes even with the stalling.

I am going to start by looking at spark plug condition and maybe checking the fuel pressure. Any ideas what I else I should check?
Old November 16th, 2017, 20:44
NAXJA Member
Re: Wifes Patriot has rough idle but does not throw codes.

I think Chrysler had a reflash to address some of that. You would have take it somewhere that's capable of doing it tho. I'd expect to pay $100-150.

You could also try cleaning the throttle body.
Old December 15th, 2017, 17:18
NAXJA Member
Re: Wifes Patriot has rough idle but does not throw codes.

I'd bet its the lead in the water up there.

it sounds to me like a spark issue. like a spark plug shorting to the head via a bad boot or something like that. they normally come and go with load because the resistance of the air gap on the spark plug increases with greater compression in the cylinder.
91 XJ Craigslist special: $350 for the jeep. 250K+ and running strong.

Idiots affect the lives of many. There is still no known cure for stupidity, but we can raise awareness ......