NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Chapters > North Atlantic Chapter
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

North Atlantic Chapter Discussion of Chapter issues. Please keep Tech Topics on the Tech Forums.

Old March 29th, 2020, 23:12
NAXJA Member

Re: BigNuge’s 99 XJ

Not sure if I saw when you added the hood vents? but definitely a nice touch! I’m debating louvers and vents up front... Is there a bottom to the vents u got, like a 5.9 ZJ? Thinkn thatd be best if I located them at the front of the hood, not as far out as the ZJ more like yours but up front. Makes me think of Nostrils like a post off bull or something:shrug:
Old March 30th, 2020, 08:13
NAXJA Member

BigNuge’s 99 XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoeterMcgav View Post
Not sure if I saw when you added the hood vents? but definitely a nice touch! I’m debating louvers and vents up front... Is there a bottom to the vents u got, like a 5.9 ZJ? Thinkn thatd be best if I located them at the front of the hood, not as far out as the ZJ more like yours but up front. Makes me think of Nostrils like a post off bull or something:shrug:

I added the vents a few weeks ago. They are cheep scoops, got them on Amazon. I positioned them up there because that’s the highest part of the hood, natural pocket of heat up there when stopped (they are open/functional scoops). I can see the heat pouring out of them while wheeling, and while stopped.

I try to get all my mods on the thread, once and a while I miss one...lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old April 4th, 2020, 17:04
NAXJA Member

BigNuge’s 99 XJ

Finished up mounting the sPOD today. Brackets came out great, nice and stable.

Got the switch panel mounted up, customized the OEM switch panel area. Retained one of the 12v ports for charging. Relocated the rear wiper switch and the rear defroster switch. Also got the compressor switch mounted and wired (cab side).

I’m waiting for a couple grommets for the firewall penetration before finishing up wiring. I’ll have it all wrapped up over the next week.

Old April 7th, 2020, 17:16
NAXJA Member

BigNuge’s 99 XJ

Ok, so I need some input from the Jeep steering guru’s. This damn wandering is a problem. It drives like crap, especially above 35-40.

I did a bunch of research, found countless threads, and checked things several times over. Here’s what I came up with.

Suspension components, tight & new.

Steering components, tight and in good condition and/or new (brand new ball joints/all).

Had my wife turn the steering back and forth while I laid under the Jeep, everything moves nicely, no slop seen.

Measured/checked toe, found it toed “in” 1/8”

Checked caster, found it at ~14% which comes out to 7-8deg

I’m at a loss guys....what am I missing?

Old April 9th, 2020, 21:17
NAXJA Member #180

My experience is if everything is tight, you need to give it a bit more caster. Are your uppers adjustable? Try aiming for 9-10* caster. Push it to 9 and try it. 10-12* caster is not uncommon. Try not to make a large change, 1 to 2 degrees at a time at most. With larger tires, it is sometimes hard to get rid of that floaty feel without putting a bit more caster into the front end.

A.
Old April 10th, 2020, 11:27
NAXJA Member

BigNuge’s 99 XJ

Thanks for the input! I’m running adjustable uppers and lowers. I will try anything at this point to get the thing driving better. All the best wheeling is 1-2 hours away on highway roads. I don’t want to have to fight this thing back and forth to the wheeling spots, and I sure as hell am not trailering it back and forth!

Old April 11th, 2020, 15:59
Bring the Boom

Ham radio? What's your call? kc1lwd.

Also what's that spod? is it just an aux controller? I went to the website but I'm not getting exactly what its for
Old April 11th, 2020, 18:57
NAXJA Member

BigNuge’s 99 XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCWolf View Post
Ham radio? What's your call? kc1lwd.

Also what's that spod? is it just an aux controller? I went to the website but I'm not getting exactly what its for

KC1AMU

The sPOD is a auxiliary power distribution panel. It can power up to 6 auxiliary devices, all controlled by a single umbilical that runs to the cab.

Basically, you mount the relay box in the engine bay, it has 4ga feed wires that go directly tot the battery (where auxiliary devices should be powered from), then run multi-conductor umbilical into the cab to a switch panel. It’s a single plug to the switches. Each devices has its own fuse and switch. My favorite function is the low voltage protection. When the sPOD detected low voltage at the battery it drops all accessories off automatically, saving the battery so you can still start your rig. A pretty important function for a single battery rig (like mine).

Old April 12th, 2020, 06:51
Bring the Boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNuge View Post
KC1AMU

The sPOD is a auxiliary power distribution panel. It can power up to 6 auxiliary devices, all controlled by a single umbilical that runs to the cab.

Basically, you mount the relay box in the engine bay, it has 4ga feed wires that go directly tot the battery (where auxiliary devices should be powered from), then run multi-conductor umbilical into the cab to a switch panel. It’s a single plug to the switches. Each devices has its own fuse and switch. My favorite function is the low voltage protection. When the sPOD detected low voltage at the battery it drops all accessories off automatically, saving the battery so you can still start your rig. A pretty important function for a single battery rig (like mine).

That's actually pretty cool. That's definitely cleaner than running a million individual wires I saw one for a wrangler but not for the XJ, is that what you're using?
Old April 12th, 2020, 16:27
NAXJA Member

BigNuge’s 99 XJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCWolf View Post
That's actually pretty cool. That's definitely cleaner than running a million individual wires I saw one for a wrangler but not for the XJ, is that what you're using?

The one I have is a universal one. I had it installed in my Tundra for 7 years, just recently sold that, kept the sPOD for use in the XJ.