NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Other Technical Forums > Jeep Street and Performance
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Jeep Street and Performance Do you like to go fast in your Jeep?

Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:07
On a Time Out

Re: AW-4 Shift Controller and LED Gear Indicator Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
Nope, that's why you need to move the lever to 1-2 for decel compression braking using the hydraulic system in the trans., If you can hold it in 1st electrically.
Ohhh. Sorry.. I just woke up, so I'm a little foggy... I gotcha now.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 07:25
NAXJA Member

Another option for control is to use the Range selector switch(NSS) it can be wired to give you manual control electrically when you move the floor shifter. I know of a guy who has done this. Not sure what years of NSS this is able to work with.
It would seem that Kastein, myself and you should be working instead of playing on the internet............... Actually, I took this morning off to be on Grandpa duty.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:28
NAXJA Forum User

My home brew manual switch control is set up the following way:

* A toggle switch to select between normal and manual mode

* A 6 position rotary switch active in manual mode with the following selections :

Pos 1 = 1st gear
Pos 2 = 2nd gear
Pos 3 = 3rd gear
Pos 4 = 3 gear w/ TC lock
Pos 5 = OD
Pos 6 = OD w/ TC lock

I also have another toggle / rocker switch to lock the TC in 2nd gear only.

The rotary and rocker switch are mounted in the hump cover rear of the transfer case shift lever and left of the console.
It's a natural place for me to rest my hand.
The auto / manual toggle is hidden under the dash.

Works great and gives all the gear selections possible and ends the "hunting" too.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 08:54
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpas328xi View Post
As for tiptronic... I might look into doing that for my XJ once I figure out how I would ideally like to do it since I have a Grand Cherokee steering wheel that has stereo control buttons on the back that I could probably remove to make room for paddle shifters.
That is what I was thinking. You have those two useless buttons on the back side of the wheel.
Old March 22nd, 2013, 12:25
On a Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
Another option for control is to use the Range selector switch(NSS) it can be wired to give you manual control electrically when you move the floor shifter. I know of a guy who has done this. Not sure what years of NSS this is able to work with.
It would seem that Kastein, myself and you should be working instead of playing on the internet............... Actually, I took this morning off to be on Grandpa duty.
Haha. My excuse is that I'm in college. LMAO. Driving home in a bit to wrench on the XJ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
That is what I was thinking. You have those two useless buttons on the back side of the wheel.
Yes. And I also have two extra wires on the clockspring (swapped in the GC clockspring too)... So.. I could do paddle shifters for me.
Old April 27th, 2013, 19:50
NAXJA Forum User

Finished working on this controller today. After some minor wiring issues, all is working great.
No CEL's, no extra switches used or needed to turn on-off. No manual TC control.
Made a 'patch cable' to tap and intercept and wires needed on one and went right into the TCU and made all the wiring connections needed on another one.

Have 2 versions.

1-uses the RAD shifter where in 4th gear position, the trans works just as normal. Move the shifter to 1st, 2nd or 3rd position and it holds the trans in that gear and shifts as you move the RAD shift lever. No separate TC lockup switch- lets the TCU control TC lockup as usual. LED reads what gear you are in 1-4 and 5 when TC is locked. LED display only comes on when stock shift selector is in D/OD, 3, or 1-2. LED goes blank when in P, N, R.

2-uses the switches and LED in the vent area. Works exactally the same.

Pics and video to come.
Old April 28th, 2013, 23:18
NAXJA Forum User

I posted and then decided it was hijacking this thread, so I made a new thread instead.

This mod reminded me of a project I did long ago on my corolla.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...#post245904487

Last edited by SuperRA; April 28th, 2013 at 23:32.
Old April 29th, 2013, 20:11
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post
Finished working on this controller today. After some minor wiring issues, all is working great.
No CEL's, no extra switches used or needed to turn on-off. No manual TC control.
Made a 'patch cable' to tap and intercept and wires needed on one and went right into the TCU and made all the wiring connections needed on another one.

Have 2 versions.

1-uses the RAD shifter where in 4th gear position, the trans works just as normal. Move the shifter to 1st, 2nd or 3rd position and it holds the trans in that gear and shifts as you move the RAD shift lever. No separate TC lockup switch- lets the TCU control TC lockup as usual. LED reads what gear you are in 1-4 and 5 when TC is locked. LED display only comes on when stock shift selector is in D/OD, 3, or 1-2. LED goes blank when in P, N, R.

Pics and video to come.
So... When are you going to start selling the first one?
Old May 7th, 2013, 14:06
NAXJA Forum User

Came up with version 3. It was eluded to above by Rory and I thought about it more.

Using the stock shifter lever and one switch labeled 'manual-auto', and the controller is wired inside the TCU box with just 1 wire coming out going to the 'manual-auto' switch. The 'manual-auto' switch (it looks similar to the switches in the vent pod just labeled different) can be mounted on the flat just to the right of the shifter.

In this V3, switch in 'auto' and everything works as stock. When switch in 'manual' moving the gear lever selects the gear. 1-2 position is 1st, 3 position is 2nd, OD position is 3rd gear, with the lever in OD position move switch to 'auto' and goes back to stock. I had a label/bezel/plaque made that goes right next to the stock lever indicators, in vertical letters, 'MANUAL 3 2 1'. It's not 'speedshifting' with the stock shift lever.

Now engine braking will occur as the shift lever will be in 1-2 position and trans locked in 1st gear only and will not shift into 2nd.

This is as simple as I can make it. No LED for gear indicator, no external shifting device or switches like the RAD shifter or those vent mounted switches, just 1 switch to turn 'ON-Manual' 'OFF-Auto'.

No CEL's and yes it uses the NSS switch for input.
More to follow with pictures.
Old May 21st, 2013, 22:49
NAXJA Forum User

Nice work on the controllers. I have a few questions about basic AW4 control. Do the shift solenoids run on full 12VDC? How many amps? Are you guys using relays and microswitches , or just microswitches for solenoid control?
I am running a '96 XJ- AW-4 body with a 3.0L Non turbo Mercedes diesel. I just started road testing a few days ago, and I am having shifter issues. I am on the fence about making a stand alone trans controller, because at present I have partial success operating in "D", and I would prefer if possible to have a option for fully automatic shifting.
At present, I have the old jeep Throttle body hooked up to its 3 sensors, and the throttle body is just hanging not hooked up to anything else. The jeep throttle cable is hooked up to the MB injector pump and that works well. I have not hooked up the cable that goes to the trans ( NSS?),. So the TPS is hooked up but not moving, the trans cable/NSS is doing nothing.
When the trans is not connected to the TCU, I get manual shifting I think position 1-2 = 1st gear, position 3=3rd, and D=4th with no lockup. When I hook up the trans to the TCU, I only get 1st gear in any position, when I flip the switch for the E-fan (manually jumpered on the bottom of the electric distribution box on the bottom of the E-fan relay, then the trans will shift in D, and I get 1,2,3,4. I have not gone fast enough to see if I get a TC lock up ( death wobble), and the shift points are not at the best speeds. All this is happening and I lost my speedo indication somewhere along the way.
I am hoping to get the trans cable/NSS hooked up but as it moves opposite the throttle, I will have to make a long bracket that will work opposite the throttle. The Throttle position sensor has more travel/rotation than the MB injector pump by quite a few degrees of rotation, so if I want that to work I will have to make some sort of bell crank travel extension for it, which is going to be a PIA, I can do it but it will be a pain.
So far my best success has been with the trans hooked up to the TCU, but I lost the speedo. A manual controller might be nice as the little benz needs to hold on to 2nd and 3rd longer than it currently is, OR that problem may fix itself if I get the TPS and the NSS working as intended. I still need to figure out the speedo.
Any thoughts on why I lost the speedo. all the sensors are hooked up except one O2 sensor in the exhaust.

Any help would be appreciated
Old May 21st, 2013, 22:55
NAXJA Forum User

I forgot. There are a few other senders that are not hooked up. the original jeep water temp, oil pressure, and Aircon sensors are not hooked up. This is a SE body with dummy lights. So I installed my own direct reading gauges for temp and pressure. There are some other open ended wires on the harness as well, but I am not sure what they go to now. When I said all sensors are hooked up I meant all the trans sensors, CPS, and the throttle body.
Old October 29th, 2013, 10:01
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraMarty View Post

Have 2 versions.

Pics and video to come.
Can you please share how to wired/controlled the LED display?
Old October 29th, 2013, 15:58
Coffee Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTRacing View Post
Can you please share how to wired/controlled the LED display?
I'm fairly sure he used an arduino to control the LED display.
Old October 29th, 2013, 16:35
NAXJA Forum User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewaysstarion View Post
I'm fairly sure he used an arduino to control the LED display.
Not likely. More like "2 relays and diodes"
Old October 29th, 2013, 19:56
Coffee Drinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
Not likely. More like "2 relays and diodes"
On second thought you probably are correct.