NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association  

Go Back   NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association > NAXJA Unibody Jeep Technical Forums > Jeep Cherokee XJ (1984 - 2001) > Modified Tech Discussion
HOME Member FAQ Sponsor Info Rules Bylaws E-Mail

Modified Tech Discussion Forum for Tech related discussion for Modified XJ's and MJ's.

Old October 19th, 2021, 07:37
NAXJA Forum User

AC line Condensation

Sorry, if this is out there already, I do not find comments with my same problems and I am already down a vehicle. My 1999 XJ with only a 3 inch lift and transmission cooler for mods (nothing within the last 5 years) is my daily driver. The drier canister and metal ac lines are soaked with condensation. So much so that I had a significant puddle of water under the Jeep after a 1.5hr drive yesterday. Running it for 20 minutes this morning, i see that the metal parts are drenched. I find no obvious leak but the condensation starts dripping when I shut the car off. The AC is running cold and no moisture on the floor. If the lines are frozen or there was blockage, should the AC still run well?? I live in Tucson, it has been a little cooler but no humidity. This is definitely not normal. I did not have any problems driving it last night. I will take it out today. Hoping to catch a problem early here.

Thanks
Old October 19th, 2021, 07:51
NAXJA Forum User

Re: AC line Condensation

If the AC is not working, then the lines won't get cold. There's no source of water other than the outside air. What you're seeing just means that the humidity is sufficiently high and the AC lines are sufficiently cold to cause condensation on the lines. Mine has done it too. Insulate the lines. Besides stopping the condensation, your AC will work better.
Old October 19th, 2021, 09:09
NAXJA Member

Pretty common on every XJ I've owned in Texas. I'd rather have the puddle than the alternative- a clogged drain line and a rusty floor.
Old October 19th, 2021, 09:39
NAXJA Forum User

For sure. I’ve have been driving this for 20 years and have not seen water like this. And I live in Tucson so nearly no humidity. I was hoping I was not missing something. I appreciate the feedback guys.
Old October 19th, 2021, 19:25
NAXJA Forum User

That is the accumulator not a dryer and having a cold / sweaty low pressure line and accumulator is a sign of a happy system.
And the higher the relative humidity is the more condensation it will produce.
You should also see a water dripping from the drain tube from the evaporator housing.